Orthopedic physical therapy is a highly recommended noninvasive and nonsurgical treatment option for a variety of musculoskeletal conditions. It can effectively alleviate pain, enhance mobility, and even prevent future injuries. With this type of therapy, patients can effectively manage their condition and make a full recovery, allowing them to lead the lifestyle they desire.
What Is Orthopedic Physical Therapy?
This treatment focuses on restoring or improving the state and function of your musculoskeletal system.
It can help you with everything from treating sports injuries to recovering after surgery and managing chronic pain. Orthopedic physical therapists use a range of exercises and techniques to improve outcomes, including:
- Range of motion exercises
- Strengthening exercises
- Manual therapy techniques, such as massage and joint mobilization
- Neuromuscular reeducation
- Balance training
- Posture correction
Your therapist may also recommend other therapy modalities such as the following:
This type of therapy uses electrical currents to stimulate the muscles, which can help reduce pain and swelling.
Ultrasound waves are used to penetrate deep into your tissue, producing heat and reducing inflammation.
Hot and Cold Therapy
You may use hot or cold packs to reduce swelling and pain. A cold compress can help during the first couple of days of swelling. Then, your therapist may switch to heat packs when needed.
This technique involves applying mechanical pressure on the affected area, which can help improve mobility and reduce pain.
Orthotics and Bracing
If a joint or limb is not functioning properly, your therapist may recommend an orthotic device or brace to help you regain full function. Orthotics are specialized shoe inserts designed to provide support for your foot structure, while braces offer stability and support to specific joints or limbs.
By combining these techniques, your therapist can help you get back to an active lifestyle. They can also help you live life with less pain.
The Benefits of Orthopedic Physical Therapy
The main goal of therapy is to ease your pain and help you regain your mobility. It can also be effective for treating and managing orthopedic conditions. That includes the following:
- Arthritis – the inflammation of the joints can be reduced with stretching and strengthening exercises
- Tendonitis – swelling and inflammation of the tendons can be addressed with a range of motion and strengthening exercises
- Sprains and strains – physical therapy can help reduce swelling and encourage healing
- Back pain – low back pain can be addressed with specific therapeutic exercises and postural modifications
- Shoulder pain – shoulder impingements and rotator cuff injuries can benefit from strengthening exercises
Aside from addressing these conditions, orthopedic physical therapy can provide the following benefits:
- Improved posture – physical therapy exercises can help improve your posture and reduce pain
- Reduced risk of injury – strengthening exercises can increase stability and reduce the risk of injury
- Increased flexibility – stretches and range of motion exercises can help increase flexibility, which can improve performance
- Improved circulation – physical activity can help increase blood flow to the muscles and promote healing
How to Get The Best Results From Orthopedic Physical Therapy
To get the best results from your orthopedic physical therapy, it’s important to take an active role in your treatment. Here are some tips to help you recover and make the most out of this treatment:
Be Honest with Your Therapist
It’s important to be open and honest about your symptoms and what activities you can do. You also need to tell your therapist if you feel any pain or discomfort.
Follow Your Therapist’s Instructions
It’s important to do the exercises and stretches that your therapist recommends to get the most benefit from your therapy.
It can be difficult to stay motivated when working through physical therapy. However, you need to keep up with your treatment regimen to reach your goals.
Don’t hesitate to ask questions if you need clarification on anything.
Consistency is always important if you want to recover. Try to stick with your prescribed routine and attend all your appointments to get the best results.
Orthopedic Physical Therapy in Jacksonville, FL
Orthopedic physical therapy can be beneficial for anyone experiencing pain or a decrease in mobility due to an orthopedic condition. It can be effective in treating many orthopedic conditions. It can also help improve posture, reduce your risk of injury, increase flexibility, and improve circulation. If you’re considering physical therapy, aim to work closely with your therapist to get the best results.
With dedication and consistency, you can reduce your pain and improve mobility, making it possible to live life without limits. Do you need orthopedic physical therapy in Jacksonville, FL? You can rely on trusted healthcare providers from H2 Health’s 17 locations across the greater Jacksonville area. You can call us at (800) 699-9395 to learn about our services. You can also use our online form to book an appointment.
We offer complimentary screenings for injuries and balance to determine if you need therapy. We look forward to helping you live the best life!